Sunday 6 April 2014

Inverclyde Tartan

It is Tartan Day today.



This is the tartan for Greenock - it is the Inverclyde Tartan.  Tartans come in all colours and mixes.  There are tartans for clan names, countries, organisations - all sorts of tartans!

If you would like to find out if there is a tartan for your name or area then go to the Scottish Register of Tartans where you can search a fabulous database to find out your tartan.  You will be amazed at the selection on offer.


The Greenockian


4 comments:

  1. i love family history. my family is McNair(s) -- i had to ask my Mom what part we were because i looked up McNair & it was not on the list. which apparently is part of the McClanahan .. i am probably spelling that wrong??! my ancestors would hit me for sure. ha. ha!! ( :
    thank you for the link i pass it on to my mom. i remember my Grandfather wearing his tartan every time i saw him. (his hat).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great granny was a McCalman and they wear the Buchanan tartan. I am looking forward to one day visiting the west coast and the islands of Mull and Iona where my forebears used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mother was born in Greenock. Her name was Mary Farrell Conlogue. Her Father was James Conlogue. What would be our tartan?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome.