Thursday 18 January 2024

Travels in Renfrewshire 1670

In about 1670, French traveller and cartographer, Albert Jouvinde Rocheford, visited Scotland and wrote a description of the places he visited as well as mapping them.  It gives a fascinating glimpse of Renfrewshire as he saw it at that time.  This is taken from a book published in Paris in 1672 and later published in The Antiquarian Repertory in 1804.  

Dumbarton

The following is his account of his travels:-

"After having passed through Nieuwark (Newark) that is on the side of the gulf of Dunbriton, (Dumbarton) which lay on my left hand, to enter into a country surrounded almost on all sides by mountains, I descended into some very agreeable valleys, as Kemakoom (Kilmalcolm) etc.  From thence I followed a small river (White Cart) where the country grew a little better, to go to Paslet, (Paisley) on a river forded by a large bridge abutting to the castle, where there is a very spacious garden enclosed by thick walls of hewn stone.  It was once a rich abbey, as I discovered by a mitre and cross, that appeared half demolished, upon one of the gates of the castle which was the abbey house.  

Paisley Abbey

Those  who go from Krinock (Greenock) to Glasgo (Glasgow) pass from Kemakoom (Kilmacolm) by Reinfreu (Renfrew); but the way if sull of marshes, difficult to pass over, and where there is a boat which does not work on Sundays, according to the custom of England, as it happened when I was travelling that road; which caused me, in order to avoid these difficulties, to change my route, which was after Paislet (Paisley), to enter into a fine country upon the banks of the river Clyd (Clyde), which I followed to the suburbs of Glasgo, joined to the town by a large bridge.  This I passed before I could enter Glasgo".

Louis XIV of France

De Rochefort later became Treasurer to the King of France from 1675-1702 (Louis XIV).

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating, thanks for publishing this. I’ve just found your blog for the first time and will be reading through all your article.

    Cheers from a Portonian living in “Krinick” 👍

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome.