Monday 29 June 2015

Former Greenock Central Library

This wonderful mural is part of the former Greenock Central Library in Clyde Square, just across from the Municipal Buildings.


The fibreglass frieze is situated above what was the the main entrance and was designed by the artist and sculptor Charles Anderson.


The building itself was designed by the then burgh architect and town planner, James Watson.  This beautiful green slate covers the remainder of the facade.


The Library was opened in July 1970 by the author Eric Linklater.


Greenock's central library is now situated in a different building.  The local council have retained this building - not sure what its use will be.


Joining up with others over at Monday Mural.


12 comments:

  1. I like that. Don't know why, because I'm not a great lover of 60s/70s architecture as a rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! Think it looks good since they cleaned up the building.
      Liz

      Delete
  2. A very special decoration when entering the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another closed library - hope a suitable use is found for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately they have moved the books to another building, so we still have a library. I am hopeful the local council will use it as office or something!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. Hi Liz, the stone sets of the amazing mural. Very nice. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful building!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The details are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful building.
    I am glad they found a place for the library and here is to hoping that this building will be put to good use.
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fine building, I love the mural. I'm a big fan of this type of architecture, when it's cleaned and well maintained it looks lovely, and are generally very good spaces to be in too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The designs are Aztec looking to my eye. Didn't realize they were figures until I looked at the full view. Welcome to Monday Mural and thanks for your contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if there are any interior pictures of the library? I miss it. Haven't lived in Greenock for years now, but I'll always have fond memories of that building

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome.