Thursday 3 August 2023

To My Native River

To My Native River is a poem by Greenockian, Allan Park Paton (1818-1905).  Written in 1845, it is a beautiful tribute to the River Clyde.

The poem is too lengthy to put it all here, but there are some words which will surely strike a chord with anyone who has spent time in the area.

Upon thy shore alone I’ve been
In the rayless winter night,
When nothing of thee could be seen,
Save flying flakes of white –

I, too, shall lay my head
(Heaven grant it be in peace!)
Upon that silent, solemn bed,
Where life on earth shall cease.
And when it comes, as come it will,
Oh, may it be to me
To rest where I may look my fill,
Beloved Clyde, of thee!


The first words of the poem can also be seen on one of the panels at the east end of Cathcart Street in Greenock, beside Ginger the Horse sculpture.

Oh, thou sea-like, dark blue Clyde,
With mountains for thy banks!
A daily muser by thy tide,
Would sing to thee his thanks –

I have made a short video using the words of the poem along with some photographs of the Clyde.  You can find it on my YouTube Channel.  (Music from YouTube Audio Library)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very welcome.